I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Saying Good Bye to the Church of my Childhood and then the Unthinkable Happens....

Last June , I did a post titled The Closing of a Church where I spoke of the Church of my Childhood......

It was the Church where my parents were baptized, received all their sacraments including saying their marriage vows and were both  buried from.

I also received all my sacraments there......

It was where Joe and I were married.....


 It was where we ,and many of my family members before and after us, stood on these steps and posed for pictures......
My sons were baptized there......

It was closed because of the consolidation of Catholic Churches that is taking place in our area......

It was slated for demolition on Monday.

My sister, who only lives a few blocks away, has taken lots of pictures that she will be sharing with me so we will remember this church that was so much a part of our lives.

My Dad was the janitor of this church for over 20 years..... it was the church where he would let us ring the bells and we squealed with joy as we hung on tight to the rope and flew up in the air with the ringing of those bells.....

My sister was there on Monday morning along with a huge crowd of people as the church was being demolished...

She went home for lunch leaving the church looking like this...
Courtesy of the Times Leader Newspaper

No sooner did she get home and turn on the TV at lunch time when she heard the terrible news...

She ran back over....

The church had collapsed onto the crane with the owner of the demolition company inside of it, killing him.....

What a devastating blow to a community already mourning the loss of a hundred year old church......

Please click HERE to read the story of what happened and to see the video of the collapse.....

Our hearts go out to the family of John Brdaric......

My sister and I were going to take bricks from the church as a rememberance....

Now we are not so sure about that...

How do you feel about it?????

I am so torn about what to do......
We believe our grandparents are on the plaque listing the Founding Families......The Kolojejchicks

Hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...